Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Filters & Refinements Section Features
Filters & Refinements options are used to narrow your search results set to a more focused set of items. These tools appear on the left side of the Search Results Page.
a - Search Refinements options:
- Limit to Full Text Online.
- Limit to Scholarly & Peer-Review.
- Limit to Open Access items.
- Limit your search to items in the Library Catalog (no articles).
b - Select multiple filters before refreshing your results.
c - Filter your results by Content Type:
- Click on More... to see additional formats.
- See Apply Filters for additional guidance.
d - Filter your results by Library Location.
e - Filter your results based on the Publication Date.
f - Filter your results to items on a particular Language.
g - Filter your results to one or more Subjects.
h - Filter your results by Discipline.
The number of results linked to a particular filter are displayed to the right of the filter value.
- When multiple filter values are selected or excluded, Summon combines the values with a Boolean operator OR.
- A More... link appears below each type of filter; click the link to display all filter values, sorted by rank.
When you click on the More... link below a particular filter, a Filter List search box opens to the right of the Filters & Refinements column.
- You can use the Filter List search box when there are many different values to sort through.
Click on a particular value to include it in your filtered search results. Once clicked, an item will display a Green checkmark to the right of the item, as seen below. To exclude a value, click on the Red 'X' that displays to the right of the item when you hover over it.
a - Click on More... to see all the options for a particular filter.
b - Sort the options Alphabetically or by Rank (number of hits).
c - Include or Exclude any desired options to filter your search.
d - Click on Apply to apply any selections to your current search.